Glass of British Fizz?

Photo: Graham Franks/ALAMY/The Telegraph

Photo: Graham Franks/ALAMY/The Telegraph

British winemakers have struggled for half a century to find an iconic name for their wines. Now there's a new term that's been floated around for the elusive bubbly, 'British Fizz', and the UK Vineyard Association (UKVA) has applied to protect it so that only grapes grown in England, Wales, or Scotland will be able to use it.   

Bob Lindo, author of the protected geographical indication (PGI) application, says the name isn't intended to replace English sparkling wine, as it is currently known: "This is a way for us to reclaim the 'British' category for people producing wines with English grown grapes. It isn't meant to be a catch-all name.

"It's for people, like those living in the States, who maybe aren't aware of the differences between British wine and English sparkling wine, who just call everything 'British', and will find this category useful."

Will it catch on or confuse people? Only time will tell, but 'English Sparkling Wine' still conveys an elegance that represents the product quite well. 

Read more in The Telegraph